Bybrooke Road, Ashford
Contract Type: Residential Refurbishment
Client: Ashford Borough Council
Ashford Borough Council engaged Lawtech as Principal Contractor to design, specify and install refurbishment measures for 10 medium-rise tower blocks. The objective was to improve thermal performance and rejuvenate the properties.
The Scope of Works included:
- 4,500m² of Alumasc External Wall Insulation (EWI)
- 1500m² of Argeton terracotta rainscreen cladding
- Replacing balcony screens with powder-coated panels
- Replacing rainwater goods
- Concrete repairs and anti-carbonation coatings
- New entrances – including demolition of existing canopies
The blocks were of Wimpey No Fines Concrete construction. No Fines external walls are potentially problematic for overcladding systems, including EWI, and clients are often persuaded to use a structural system spanning from floor-to-floor. To fully explore the options for Ashford BC, Lawtech’s in-house Design and Technical team conducted numerous fixing pull-out tests and structural calculations on site in order to assess the suitability of the No Fines façades to support 6,000m2 of insulation.
The application of insulation brought the properties’ thermal performance up to current Building Regulations standards.
Lawtech was awarded the National Insulation Association’s “Best Hard to Treat Project 2009” for this project and continue to work with Ashford Borough Council.